Let’s Go! Vacation Packing Tips To Help You Hit The Road.
With summer in full swing, it’s time to dig your passport out, slap on your sunglasses, and finally get jet set to head out to that sweet #vacationgoals place you’ve been just dying to visit. Most parts of vacation planning are fun; from finding a hotel with the best views to valiantly requesting the time off from work that you totally deserve. Everyone likes a vacation, but opinions are mixed on one of the biggest steps: getting packed. If shoving a small selection of your worldly possessions into a movable container in a short amount of time has you mystified – or if you’re just looking to make the process a little less arduous – then check out our fun vacation packing tips!
Most people have an idea of what to pack; enough clothing to last you through the trip, your hygiene must-haves, and vitals like your phone, money, and ID. If you’re going to be gone more than a few days, don’t forget some of these things that you’ll only realize you don’t have until you need them:
- Painkillers: This seems obvious, but when you’ve partied a little to hard, or just come down with a bug from the plane, make sure to have a travel-sized packet of something to take the edge off. You don’t want to let a headache to stop your trip in it’s tracks!
- Bandaids: Be honest: how often do you actually carry bandaids around? It’s an easy thing to forget, but can be a lifesaver in a pinch.
- Sunscreen: Even if you’re not heading to a sun-soaked tropical locale, your skin will thank you to have a protective layer during a day of sightseeing.
- Nail Clippers: Nobody thinks about nail clippers until disaster strikes and you can’t touch anything without being reminded of that pesky hangnail.
- Hair ties/bobby pins: Does anyone else’s hair ties and bobby pins seem to have a habit of mysteriously vanishing as soon as you set them down somewhere? Even if they’re packed with your toiletries, have a few more tucked away, just in case.
- Chapstick/lip balm: There is no agony quite like chapped lips. Like hair ties, lip balm is notoriously sneaky. Keep a tube in your bag for safekeeping, even if it’s just to lend it to that friend who never seems to have it on them.
Instead of letting your chargers and cables twist and turn around willy-nilly in your suitcase or purse like a band of lively electronic snakes, keep them corralled in a hard-shelled pencil or eyeglasses case! It will make sure you’re not digging around for them when you look down and realize your phone is at 2% after all of those Instagrammable scenery pics you’ve been snapping. It’s a great spot for earbuds and Bluetooth devices, too!
This is an old tip, but it bears mentioning; don’t fold your clothes! Not only does it make them prone to wrinkling from the creases, leaving you to need to iron or shower-steam your cute outfit for the morning that night in the hotel, but it actually takes up more space in your luggage! Instead, try rolling them! This works great with shirts, leggings, and skirts, but fluffier dresses and big coats might stand for the traditional fold.
- Lay the garment as flat as you can get it on a flat surface.
- Fold the arms, if applicable, into the center.
- Starting from the bottom, tightly roll the garment up to the top. Keep this as close of a roll as possible to maximize space.
Fitting everything into a flat suitcase can seem difficult, with shoes being especially hard to place. Instead of struggling to fit them on top of something, use them as an anchor on the corners of your suitcase. Keeping the soles pointed toward the suitcase body means they wont run a risk of dirtying your clothes, and the corner arrangement keeps them steady in place.
Roll up the garments that you can and place them in the center, starting with heavier items at the bottom and working up. If you keep those centered, it allows for you to place your cords and cables to one side, and your toiletries, cosmetics, and other essentials on the other. Now you’ve got plenty of room to pack a book for the trip, snacks, and those souvenirs that you absolutely couldn’t live without!
Now get out there and have some fun! The road awaits, enjoy where it takes you! If you’re wondering how you’re going to dress for those layovers and long delays at the airport, look for a post coming up in August where we wrangle up all of the best airport looks to keep you travel ready.
While you’re on that dream summer vacation, don’t forget to let us see! Show us your vacation travel looks with the hashtag #gslovesme on instagram for a chance to be featured!