13 Reasons to Get Glam This Winter
What is it about the winter season that gets us excited about dressing up and going out?
Could it be the sense of refinement (and accomplishment) that comes from layering a stylish winter look? Or the unveiling of a statement dress as you arrive at a celebration and peel back the winter layers that quietly say, “Hello, the party has arrived.”
Even holiday lights decorate the streets making them look more enticing than ever. It’s as if the season GIVES us permission to dress to the nines.
Skip the sweats and set the DVR to record because we’ve compiled 13 Reasons to Get Glam this Winter! Set the Pre-Holiday mood with crushed velvets and sleek satins as you explore the city’s holiday pleasantries. Grab a friend, don’t forget your camera, and make memories you’ll never forget!
1. BROADWAY SHOW Over 13 Million people visit broadway productions each year. The popularity and influential art form propelled the NYC scene into mainstream pop culture. Headed to Manhattan for holiday? Pick up tickets for their Radio City Christmas Spectacular featuring the stunning Rockettes!
WHAT TO WEAR Get theatrical in high drama fabrics in unfussy silhouettes. We’ve picked a crushed velvet off the shoulder mini dress for our show outfit. Pair with minimal heels and layer a warm jacket for a show stopping number. Outfit Details: Halter Back Off Shoulder Dress, $18.99 http://bit.ly/2fAXFZO
2. COMEDY SHOW Looking for a laugh this holiday? Head to a comedy show! The Laugh Factory scouts new talent to deliver the funniest comedians of the Windy City week after week.
WHAT TO WEAR The whole point of this winter outing is to relax and have a good time, which is why we’ve chosen to pair an all black ensemble with a statement cardigan. Comfort and style come together for this date night worthy look. Outfit Details: Leopard Print Plus Size Waterfall Cardigan, $21.99 http://bit.ly/2fQqbdP
3. SKATING RINK When was the last time you laced up and hit the ice? Prepare to smile and laugh as you skate your way through the holiday crowds. Sip on hot cocoa and watch the magic of the holiday season as families, friends, and lovers share the rink.
WHAT TO WEAR: Break out the winter classics! A stylish cropped double breasted coat instantly adds a modern touch to a classic holiday look. Outfit Details: Plus Size Classic Double-Breasted Hooded Coat, $17.99 http://bit.ly/2fQqyFf
4. NUTCRACKER BALLET A two-act ballet in performance since it’s premiere in 1892. What says holiday more than Waltz of the Flowers? And what better excuse to dress up than attending the ballet? Trade in the sunny California vistas for Clara’s visions of snow-capped mountain tops and the Mouse King for an afternoon.
WHAT TO WEAR We’ve chosen a crushed velvet bodysuit and midi skirt that fully expresses the refinement and femininity of being a lady. Outfit Details: Shop Junior Bodysuits http://bit.ly/2fB4eLV
5. MUSEUM NIGHT Hit the museum circuit for an update in the art world and expressions that define the moment. Take some friends, not only will they be great in the art of artistic interpretation, but they can also snap some killer pics for the ‘gram. What are friends for?
WHAT TO WEAR We’ve opted for an edgy street style inspired Leather Jacket look that will take you from the museum to dinner and drinks afterward. Pair with dark denim or ponte pants (leggings more sophisticated cousin) for a sexy, yet casual look. Outfit Details: Belted Black Faux Leather Jacket, $42.99 http://bit.ly/2ftHIo6
6. ROOFTOP PATIO VIEWS It’s easy to feel on top of the world during the holidays. Take it to the next level and hit the best rooftop patios in the city. New York, Chicago, DTLA – we’re looking at you.
WHAT TO WEAR Match the glittering lights of the city in a mini sequin dress. We’ve chosen one with sheer long sleeves to capture the moment. Outfit Details: Plus Size Studded Mini Bodycon Dress, $26.99 http://bit.ly/2fB1vSI
7. RODEO DRIVE Join in on the Beverly Hills holiday fun with the lighting of the season. Musical performances, holiday themed talent, and a countdown to the lighting of Rodeo Drive is sure to get everyone in the mood for a festive season.
WHAT TO WEAR We picked a cheery mini sequin dress for the holiday lighting. Paired with a furry coat or layered cardigan this sheath dress provides just enough shine to start off the holiday season without going overboard. Outfit Details: Sleeveless Mini Sequin Dress, $26.99 http://bit.ly/2ftRjv5
8. SEX AND THE CITY PARTY The show may be close to 20 years old, but the lessons that Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda are still as valid as ever. Throw a potluck with your bests and dress to impress for this female empowered marathon.
WHAT TO WEAR: We opted for a full glam look. Leave the basics at home. This is one night you can glam without fear. Outfit Details: Infinity Dress, $26.99 http://bit.ly/2ftOSZu Plus Size Embellished Mini Off Shoulder Dress, $64.99 http://bit.ly/2fQpuRC
9. MENORAH LIGHTING CEREMONY– Share in the communal experience of kindling the lights for Hanukkah. Whether it’s a family tradition or learning about our friends and family’s culture, it’s a joyous experience that is sure to warm the hearts of all that attend.
WHAT TO WEAR: Share in the festivities in understated elegance by wearing our knitted fur trim vest. Layer over your favorite long sleeve knit and pants for a classic holiday look. Outfit Details: Plus Size Knitted Fur Trim Vest, $40.99 http://bit.ly/2fB4vyq
10. CHRISTMAS CAROL CREW Bring the cheer of yesteryear with a playful singing group. When’s the last time you belted out an entire version of Frosty the Snowman? Light up the hearts of grown-ups and children alike and spread some holiday cheer.
WHAT TO WEAR Since the majority of your time will be spent outside we opted for a layered look. Break out your favorite holiday sweater (we chose an elbow patch crew neck) and pair with your favorite winter beanie and scarf. Bonus points if you can coordinate your group outfit. Outfit Details: Buttoned Elbow Patch Knit Top, $11.99, http://bit.ly/2fB76Zk
11. TOUR ICONIC CHRISTMAS LIGHTS – Every city has one, you know, one of those magical streets where time stands still and a dazzling display of lights takes over. Get a group and a thermos of hot chocolate for a neighborhood tour. Who knows, it could become a holiday tradition!
WHAT TO WEAR: Since you’re probably hanging out in the car for this tour, we opted to style a midi shift dress that catches the light and provides a cozy layer to snuggle up. Dark burgundy velvet lends an elegant touch to any wintertime look. Outfit Details: Midi Lace-Up Velvet Dress, $30.99 http://bit.ly/2fB9TkY
12. VICTORIAN HOLIDAY Step back in time with a Victorian Holiday at Dickens on the Strand. Galveston Island’s most famous holiday recreates the theme of Charles Dickens for an unparalleled holiday experience.
WHAT TO WEAR The Renaissance trend we’re experiencing gives us ideal options to pair for this Victorian London Holiday. Wear the corset trend with a modern twist — off the shoulder styling. Outfit Details: Plus Size Off Shoulder Lace Up Bodycon Dress, $28.99 http://bit.ly/2fQtilM
13. SING-A-LONG at the PHILHARMONIC Warm up your vocals and put on a smile as you sing holiday tunes you probably haven’t heard in awhile. Take the family to make memories as good as the ones you remember as a kid.
WHAT TO WEAR Bring festive spirit with a cozy layered look. Our Fur Lined Plaid Vest is an ideal layering piece that brings the elegance of winter without the holiday cheese. Outfit Details: Fur Lining Plaid Cardigan, $10.99 http://bit.ly/2ftNRAQ
Our list merely scratches the surface of holiday events across the country! Whether you’re spending the afternoon on the sandy beaches of Santa Monica or in the chilly air of Newbury Street for their annual Santa Speedo Run – this is the season to wear your merriment.
How do you plan on spending your holiday?!?