Rounding out our road trip hair series is the bohemian fishtail braid.
Day 3 Hair: Mid-week on a road trip can leave a gal feeling rather crispy. Filled with adventurous memories, yet with miles to go on the open road, the key to looking chic and keeping sane is low maintenance style. Enter the side fishtail braid.
Whether you’re working with wet hair in the passenger seat because you needed the extra ten minutes of sleep or you’ve skipped the wash altogether, the best way to do a fishtail braid is to keep any perfectionist tendencies at bay. Taking a lesson from the concept in Japanese aesthetics Wabi-sabi, the key is its acceptance of beauty as imperfect and impermanent. So, leave those layered pieces alone and allow them the chance to frame the face. You may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Boho Fishtail Braid Tutorial
- Spray hair with dry shampoo for texture (optional).
- Divide hair into two equal sections.
- Take a small section of hair from outer left main section and cross over to the right main section.
- Repeat on right side.
- Continue crossing small pieces of hair remembering to pull from outer main sections. The smaller the pieces the more intricate the design will appear.
- Continue to fishtail until reaching the end of sections.
- Wrap a small portion of braid tail around elastic band to conceal hair tie.
- Spray with hairspray for added hold.
- Gently pull braid apart to create a loose boho feel.
- Pull pieces from around the face to add boho layers or allow them to fall naturally throughout the day.
You’re reading the third installment of our Appetite for Adventure Road Trip Series: 3 Hairstyles to Wear During Your Next Roadtrip. For more road trip hairstyles read our 1st Day Hair: Beach Waves and Second Day Hair: Space Buns on the blog.
GET THE LOOK
V-Neck Stripe Hi-Lo Blouse, Style No. 157163
Photographer: Joe Yu
Hair/Makeup: Sanga Kim
Wardrobe: Taylor Valle
Art Direction: Stephanie Fraide